Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Purple Lady

There is a lady here in California on the Central Coast in the town of Santa Maria, she is The Purple Lady. She lives in a purple house. The house has purple walls, purple carpet, purple furniture , a purple kitchen in which there are purple appliances and purple counter tops. Lets just say the house is full of different shades of purple. The Purple Lady has purple hair, purple eye glasses, and wears only purple clothes, except for lent when she gives up purple. Oh and lets not forget she can be seen driving around town in her purple car. I'm not sure how long she has been purple, that seems to be up for debate, but it has been a long time. She has four sons, one of which I'm in love with. This is how I know The Purple Lady. She is kind of a celebrity, she has been on Letterman and Real People. It seems she is also famous in Japan.

The Purple Lady is a knitter. She was, from what her son has told me, a very good knitter. She won awards at the county fair for her knitted sweaters. Unfortunately she no longer knits, she is now in her 80s and has arthritis. The Purple Lady is the most loving and giving person I know. She has a wonderful heart. What she did yesterday was give me knitting needles. She said take what what you want. Take needles and yarn. I felt kind of weird, I was like a kid in a candy store. She has everything. Her yarn was organized in boxes by project. Each box has the amount of yarn needed for that project. I could not get over the amount she had. The amount of needles was amazing too. She has needles she has never touched, they are still in the original package. What I did get were some really nice circular needles and some yarn. She said to me do you need more and I said not today, but I will know where to go if I do. Thank you Purple Lady! God bless you.


13 comments:

Alex said...

Oh, how kind and wonderful! I wish I had a Purple Lady of my very own!

Sharon G. said...

Wow, how very cool. Lucky you!
I'd like my very own Purple Lady, too.

schrodinger said...

What a wonderful story. I have never heard of the purple lady, but I love her already. Thanks for sharing.

michael enos/ Mary Enos said...

enos said, 20 years ago my grandmother lived on the same street miles ave. I remember walking by her house and marvelling at every detail was purple. Her hair,her car,her poodle,her house,the flowers in her yard everything was purple.

Tiffany said...

I'm 42 years old and have lived around the corner from " the purple lady " all my life.

When real people was on tv my cousin say it over in bakersfield when she came to visit she asked me If i knew where she lived. I said yes and we rode our bikes over there.
She invited us in and showed my cousin around.
She had a blast my cousin at that time LOVED purple too and was head to toe in purple that day, they both looked like to peas in a pod.

I 'll never forget how happy she made my cousin that day........

the purple lady said...

i used to visit my cousins who lived in Santa Maria and i took that name because I have a love for purple too. thanks for sharing the story

Angie Wink said...

She told me she chose purple because she used to be in the navy and something about Mary Kay so she became sick of blue for the navy and the pink from Mary Kay and combined them to make purple. She told me this when she used to walk with me to school.

The Purple Lady said...

LOVE it!
Come by my blog some time...
All Things Purple
http://iheartpurplestuff.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I grew up In santa Maria and I still remember seeing her as a little girl and gocking! 25 yrs ago.What a super cool lady

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank You! I googled the purple lady just for fun as I was telling my friends about this purple lady my grandmother was friends with when I was 3 years old.. It's so wonderful to find out that she is still purple after nearly 4 decades! We used to see her driving around town in her purple car and at the Williams Brothers market shopping sometimes. Her hair was purple back then too! Thank you for the article... Calling my mom now to tell her that grandmas purple friend is still purple!

Stephanie Daggett
Old resident of Atherly Lane not far from the Purple Lady's house!

sebringxxx said...

i saw a friend whos father is next to her in a retirement home, the two eat together everynight. he says her mind is still sharp, still very friendly lady! nice to get a good update on a nice lady.3/22/13

Anonymous said...

We never had a purple poodle its an old wife's tale=) But the rest is true she is truly amazing and yes still wearing purple!
*her Grand Daughter

Anonymous said...

Aloha.
I lived in Santa Maria for 4 years, starting in 1980. Finished HS there, lived in the house on the corners of Drake/Winter Road/Hillview/Santa Maria Way (yep, our swimming pool was down in that hole when you turned right from Southbound Santa Maria Way onto Hillview. Even the backyard fence facing Winter Road was painted purple. Not to disagree with the grand-daughter, she simply may not have been old enough to see it, but yes, there was a purple poodle. Wonderful people, fully embraced their love of purple, and did it proud. I hope the 'Purple Lady' enjoys many more happy purple birthdays.